Rucker MD on Facebook

Facelift (short scar)

Rucker MD Plastic Surgery Clinic

FACELIFT

Most individuals begin to notice Father Time's impact on their facial features between the ages of 40 to 50. The skin and soft tissues begin to lose their elasticity and sag from the cheekbone, causing a deepening of the folds from the nose to the corner of the mouth and from the mouth to the jaw line. The jaw line becomes uneven and the neck tissues may begin to sag. You may begin wondering about a facelift.

Facelift techniques (rhytidectomy) have evolved significantly in recent years. Early facelift surgery operations tightened only the skin. The modern face lift surgery addresses the laxity of facial muscle and removes excess skin and fat, often found in the lower face and neck. The procedure can improve the contour of your lower jaw and soften deep lines.

Most patients are confused by all of the different procedures offered. Just the word facelift can be intimidating, because it implies that the whole face is lifted. In the majority of limited-facial procedures that I have performed during my 25 years of experience, the main objective has been to produce a surgery free on result. My overall goal is to make the patient look like a younger version of themselves; avoiding the done or tight look following the procedure.

Facelift Procedure

Choosing the right type of facelift option depends on more than just your wallet. It is important to consider:

  • the specific areas that you want to improve

  • how much time you have for recovery

  • your expectations for your post- facelift appearance

Types of facelift surgery

Lower (Standard) Facelift: Rejuvenates the bottom third of the face; tightening the face's underlying structures that slacken with age, forming jowls and a fleshy neck. The This surgical procedure trims excess skin, smoothing it to eliminate facial creases, giving a visual lift to the bottom third of the face.

Mid Facelift: As people age, their skin loses elasticity and tone, the cheeks and eyelids tend to sag. This procedure restores a youthful, rested look to the lower eyelids and cheeks.

Mini "Weekend" Facelift: Called so, because it can be performed quickly with a shorter recovery period. The procedure enhances key facial areas. However, the "weekend facelift" is a minor surgical procedure. Results are much less impressive than a "standard" facelift.

Thread Facelift: This approach is much less invasive. Recently this technique has come under criticism for not producing the results as promoted. I do not offer this technique because of the questionable level of improvement.

Non-surgical alternatives to surgical facelift: They include the laser facelift, dermal fillers that can improve facial folds, liposculpture of the face and neck and the natural products in our Enza skin care line that firm and tone the skin.

My advice is to select a board certified plastic surgeon. For my patients, the first step is a consultation, during which a complete facial examination is done including a discussion of the patient's expectations. I then try to combine the physical findings with the patient's concerns to develop a plan to achieve the desired improvement.

The Procedure

75% of the facial cosmetic procedures that I perform are done in our office operating suite on an outpatient basis. For the remaining 25% surgery is performed at a surgical hospital, with an overnight stay.

 

 

Facelift Recovery and Results

Most patients rate the pain as 3 to 4, on a scale of 1-10. The dressings are removed in 2 to 3 days. Bruising usually resolves in 10 to 12 days. There is one small well-concealed scar in front of the ear and the rest are hidden in the hair line. Scars have not been a major concern.They fade significantly within a 3 to 4 month period.

65 y/o female with complaint of unacceptable appearance of cheek and neck.
65 y/o female with complaint of unacceptable appearance of cheek and neck.

4 months after Cheek and Neck lift ( 2 1/2 hr procedure, done in office operatory)
4 months after Cheek and Neck lift ( 2 1/2 hr procedure, done in office operatory)

Frontal View Before Cheek Neck Lift.
Frontal View Before Cheek Neck Lift

Frontal View After Cheek Neck Lift.
Frontal View After Cheek Neck Lift

Above: 55 y/o female requested cheek, jawline and neck improvement.  Cheek Neck Lift Performed in office under a local I.V. sedation.  Operative time 2 hrs. and post-operative photos taken after 5 months. 

Above: 50 y/o female with complaint of excessive upper eyelid skin and laxity of cheek, jawline and neck.  Under went bilateral upper lid blepharoplasty, cheek neck lift. Operative time 3 hrs.  Post-operative photographs at 5 months. 

Call us at 800.456.8222 or email us at info@ruckermd.com! Our staff is happy to help you! 

Ask Dr. Rucker a Question